Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking a full-time Operations Administrator to be responsible for providing day-to-day operational support in finance, human resources, facilities administration and IT to ensure the smooth and efficient running of HRW’s Nairobi office. The position reports to the Associate Director of Financial Operations.
- Act as the local Finance representative and assist with the implementation of Finance policies locally;
- Manage the bank accounts and cash flows;
- Assist the Associate Director in establishing and monitor the office budget;
- Record all monthly financial activity into the organization’s financial system;
- Process financial transactions including monthly payroll, bill payments, expense reimbursements and disbursements;
- Run internal and external financial reports;
- Process and track expenditures and revenue transactions;
- Work with financial service vendors such as auditors, accountants and governmental tax offices;
- Assist the Associate Director in handling issues in relation to HRW’s legal, branch and charitable status; and
- Assist with payroll for other HRW office locations in East Africa, as needed.
- Act as the local HR representative and assist with the implementation of HR policies locally;
- Respond to staff on general HR queries;
- Maintain a good understanding and working knowledge of compliance with local employment laws;
- Assist with the on boarding and departure of local staff, fellows, consultants and interns;
- Administer and process local employee payroll, pensions, health benefits and insurance;
- Liaise and assist HR staff in headquarters with legal and HR audit issues locally;
- Liaise with local government offices, insurance and pension providers, and other HR service providers;
- Research and assist with immigration, visas and relocation of employees; and
- Maintain a unified filing system and attendance management database.
Facilities and Administration
- Maintain the smooth and effective functioning of the office;
- Handle general office maintenance and facilities issues;
- Liaise with suppliers and providers and negotiate commercial and services contracts in a cost effective manner;
4.Oversee office moves, configuration and space sourcing;
- Assist with travel arrangements and follow-up;
- Answer general post, email and telephone enquiries; and
- Maintain office security and protocols and ensure office safety standards are in compliance with local regulations.
- Liaise with IT/Helpdesk to troubleshoot computer problems and back up and update network files as necessary; and
- Liaise with IT or local phone service and internet provider to troubleshoot phone and internet problems.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent training in finance/bookkeeping, business administration, nonprofit management, human resources or a related field is required
Experience: A minimum of three years of operations or administrative experience, preferably in a global organization, is required. Experience in nonprofit management, human resources, finance, or IT is highly desirable.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent organizational, administrative, financial, and analytical skills are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is required, knowledge of French is highly desirable.
- Strong computer knowledge including advanced ability with Microsoft Excel and Word is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively within HRW, as well as with external partners, are required.
- Ability to function under pressure, prioritize competing demands with minimal supervision, and handle numerous tasks simultaneously is required.
- Proven track record of taking initiative and problem solving is required
- Good judgment, discretion, and the ability to maintain confidentiality are required.8. Demonstrated ability to work successfully with a team of talented professionals in multiple global locations is highly desirable.
- Experience with finance and human resources databases is highly desirable.
- This position will require traveling overseas at times.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current Kenyan work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits.
How to Apply
Contact: Please submit a cover letter, resume, a brief writing sample (unedited by others), and contact information for three references in English. Please submit the entire application in one attached document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Operations Administrator REF OPS-16-1013” as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
About Human Rights Watch
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.