JOB TITLE: PROGRAM OFFICER-COMMUNICATIONS
Pan Africa ILGA (PAI) is a pan-African network of LGBTI reorganizations dedicated to the promotion and protection of LGBTI rights in Africa.
PAI is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of Program Officer-Communications & Membership. This position provides an opportunity to manage and support exciting programme initiatives and campaigns on LGBTI human rights in a stimulating, multicultural and dynamic environment. The position is remote and may be based anywhere with reliable internet connection and involves some travel across Africa and other parts of the world.
PURPOSE OF JOB: To manage the Communications and Information Service Area
The general objective of the job is to generate mechanisms, tools and communication contents for effective communications and information services that promote the interaction of PAI membership amongst themselves and with key actors in accordance with PAI's policies and procedures.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director KEY RELATIONSHIPS
Management Team Relationships with Colleagues PAI values creative and inclusive approaches to work and management that have been achieved through cross-service area working and participation of staff at all levels in the organisation.
Staff have line management arrangements and specific key relationships which are detailed in their job descriptions but will also need to work collaboratively with their colleagues in order to achieve their agreed targets and outcomes to the required standards.
Strategy and Policy Development: • To develop, implement and monitor the Communications Strategy • To prepare proposals for annual work programmes capable of meeting the strategic and operational objectives outlined in the Communications Strategy
- To be accountable for the achievement of the agreed Communications inputs into the annual work programmes Communications
- To provide specialist communications advice and assistance to the Executive Director
- To maintain effective internal and external relations with PAI membership, regional and international and organisations, government officials, media, NGOs and other key actors in order to develop and maintain a high profile for PAI
- Multiple web site management, including development of a blog
- Coordinating social media notices including on Facebook and Twitter
- To handle day-to-day media contact and prepare press releases and statements
- To write and edit articles, papers, letters, briefings and other communications content on a range of issues related to the strategy and objectives of PAI
- Proactively apply communications expertise to the positive image and position of PAI in the media and relevant specialist fora Information
- Responsible for the design, production and distribution of all PAI communication materials; bulletin, statements,leaflets, publications, reports and policy documents, website etc.
- Establish and maintain systems within the office for storing and retrieving information in both paper and electronic form, in liaison with the Programmes, and Finance and Administration Managers.
- To ensure effective and timely monitoring of Calls for Proposals, and to circulate information to PAI membership and provide general advice on relevant proposals
- To establish and develop databases which collate information received from members in order to share ‘best practice’ inside and outside of the organisation.
To develop, implement and manage systems for tracking whether the Service Area and delegated elements of the Work Programmes are on target to deliver the agreed objectives.
- To develop, implement and manage systems for monitoring the effectiveness, efficiency, quality and equality of the service area’s work and to bring forward proposals for continuous improvement
- To ensure that staff managed understand the individual contributions required to achieve the annual work programme and how their performance will be appraised against agreed objectives. Organisational Management and Development
- To be accountable for the implementation of the annual work programmes in agreed areas
- To develop and implement effective communication systems that ensure the timely flow of information from the Service Area throughout the organisation and facilitate cooperation and consultation with members
- To participate in the organisation of PAI’s annual conference, seminars, meetings and other events ensure relevant media coverage and co-ordinate reports on such events as required. Financial Management
- To manage the finances of the Information and Communications service area in conjunction with the Executive Director and the Finance and Administration Manager, in order to deliver the agreed work programmes within available resources
- To prepare budgets, progress reports and financial monitoring information for internal purposes and for funding organisations
- To participate in developing a fund-raising strategy and prepare fund-raising submissions to ensure sustainability of the Information and Communications service area and work programmes External relations
- To prepare reports, discussion papers, briefs and other documents appropriate for presentation to a variety of audiences
- To attend relevant meetings, conferences etc and to prepare and give presentations related to the work of PAI as required
- To work with the ED to ensure the appropriate representation of PAI and cooperation with, relevant external bodies, including at the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights, the UN and any other relevant forum in accordance with PAI’s mission and goals.
- To ensure effective co-operation with other NGO networks, and other relevant organisations, working at Africa, and Globally.
- To be responsible for the management and development of staff working in the Information and Communications service area, including setting objectives and targets, providing supervision and guidance, and conducting regular appraisals of performance against objectives. Staff Management
- To be responsible for the day to day supervision and management of trainees and volunteers seconded to the Information and Communications service area.
- To ensure that all staff managed have a personal development plan, that training needs are identified, and relevant training received.
- To implement and maintain appropriate policies and procedures, consistent with the Human Resources strategy
- To be responsible, in conjunction with the Executive Director for the recruitment, appointment, retention, reward, fair treatment and discipline of Service Area staff under the organisation’s agreed policies and procedures. General
- The jobholder may deputise for the PAI Executive Director in her/his absence in accordance with agreed procedures
- Work as part of the PAI staff and management teams in ways that achieve agreed goals and objectives. • To actively participate as a member of the wider PAI team with other employees, volunteers, and Board members, to promote and achieve PAI’s objectives
- To ensure compliance with such laws and regulations as may be applicable to the operations of the Service Area • Undertake all duties in compliance with health and safety regulations and legislation
- To ensure that all activities are carried out with full regard to PAI's policies on diversity and equal opportunities
- Undertake other duties that may be reasonably required from time to time
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree level university studies in Journalism, Media Studies, Communication or related careers.
- Work experience in institutional communication with social organizations.
- Experience in the formulation of communication strategies, dissemination campaigns, preparation of materials, videos documentaries and communication works with Social Projects.
- Experience in social media management
- Updated knowledge of communication tools relevant to consulting.
- Ability and capacity for oral and written expression, in French and English.
- Excellent communication, relational, intercultural and professional capacities.
- Excellent analytical level.
- Ability to work in team and orientation to achievement.
- Ability to effectively manage interpersonal relationships, differences and agreements.
HOW TO APPLY: Remuneration will be in line with the set procedures of the organizations and the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Interested candidates are requested to submit a CV with 3 references, salary expectations with a 1 page motivational letter explaining why you are a good candidate for the position by email to: [email protected] Please use “Program Officer-Communications” as the subject of your email. Only complete applications will be reviewed. Deadline for submission of applications is February 12, 2017