FEM Alliance (FEMA) Uganda is a lesbian, bisexual, transgender and queer (LBTQ ) organization which was established in 2012 by a group of lesbians who felt that the needs of the growing LBTQ community were not adequately represented by the few minority groups organizations in Uganda. And more so in the wake of the constant harassment, insults and discrimination heaped on them by an ignorant society because of their sexuality or sexual preferences as well as transphobia even within the LGBTI and sexual rights movements.
- To promote human rights and restore the dignity of LBTQ persons through research and advocacy, supporting personal development and combating violence through strategic partnerships.
- To see a stigma-free Uganda where LBTQ persons are treated with dignity, their rights are fully respected and have equal access to social justice.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To increase knowledge, information and advocate for Human Rights of LBTQ within the community.
- To promote a well-coordinated, inter-dependent and strong network of LBTQ membership.
- To establish and maintain strategic partnerships with key allies and partners.
- To develop the institutional capacity of FEMA-Uganda to be able to fulfill its mandate.
FEMA Uganda is currently looking for qualified LBQT persons to fill the positions of Administrator, Programs Manager, Finance Manager, Communications Officer and Receptionist. See below for the respective job descriptions and requirements. To apply, please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com by close of business on 15th January 2019.
The Administrator assists the Executive Director in the following roles;
- Assuring that the Organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Providing leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board of Directors.
- Promoting active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the Organization's work.
- Maintaining official records and documents, and ensure compliance with state and local regulations.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field of human rights, and SOGIE.
- Seeing that the Board of Directors is kept fully informed on the condition of the Organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Publicizing the activities of the Organization, its programs and goals.
- Establishing sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Representing the programs and point of view of the Organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
- Developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Working with the staff, Finance Personnel, and the Board of Directors in preparing a budget; see that the Organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensuring that adequate funds are available to permit the Organization to carry out its work.
- Jointly, with the Chairperson and Secretary of the Board of Directors, conduct official correspondence of the Organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- The Administrator will also execute all Human Resource related work at the Secretariat and reports to the Executive Director.
- A suitable candidate should have a degree or diploma in one of the following or related fields; Business Administration, Development Studies or a related field.
- The candidate should at least have three years’ experience in a managerial or human resource role.
The programs Manager's responsibilities include;
- Manages a team that coordinates programs for a non-profit organization.
- Designs programs that align with the organization's mission and support the organization's goals.
- Establishes fundraising and development goals, identifies potential donors or sources of funding, and plans outreach strategies.
- Schedules and forecasts planning for special events that publicize the organization and its programs to the community.
- Assists in the development of grants applications or proposals.
- Will be required to perform any other duties in line with his/her/their position as required by the employer from time to time.
- The programs manager reports to the Administrator.
- A suitable candidate should have a degree or diploma in one of the following or related fields;
- Business Administration, Development Studies or any other related field.
- Computer skills and knowledge is an added advantage.
- The candidate should have at least three years’ experience in the same field from recognizable institution or institutions.
The Finance Manager will be responsible for;
- Maintain accurate financial and related Organization records and financial statements on a timely basis in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and internal control policies for accurate financial statement presentation, including analyzing and presenting financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicating monthly and annual financial statements; collating financial reporting materials and overseeing all financial activities including forecasting & Programming.
- Lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the Board of Directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Lead the planning and preparation of the annual budget and related forecasts for each Organization program and cost center and analyze variances to actual results.
- Maintain Financial Policies/Procedures Manual, chart of accounts, and programs, and continually improve systems to eliminate opportunity for error and to improve internal controls.
- Serve as Organization's staff liaison and facilitate the Organization's Audit Committee, Finance Committee, and related subcommittee meetings.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting is minimum, including working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Minimum two to five years senior accounting experience, and experience in the areas of financial statement preparation, budgeting, purchasing, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Experience with not for profit accounting and working knowledge of Financial Edge and Manager Software.
- Strong proficiency using Microsoft Office and various software programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Strong analytical skills; experience making recommendations based on financial figures.
- High attention to detail, strong process orientation, demonstrated capability to interface and maintain effective relationships with all departments and employees in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and function effectively both independently and as part of a team.
We are also seeking to recruit a Communications Officer
- To oversee and develop our communications strategy acting as ‘branding champion’, ensuring consistency across all internal and external communications.
- With excellent IT and writing skills, the post holder will produce and publish content for media, website, social media, print and online marketing materials, ensuring people of all ages, have access to up-to-date, accurate and appropriate information.
- A confident public speaker, the post holder will take an active role in raising awareness of LBTQs and Fem Alliance Uganda’s, inspiring and engaging different audiences including our partners, local groups, donors, the general public and media, whilst maintaining the good reputation of the Organization.
- A degree or diploma in Mass Communication, ICT or any other relevant fields
- A successful candidate should possess good knowledge of social media and email marketing
- Good experience in developing press statements, briefs, talking points and have a good command of public relations.
The receptionist will be responsible for the following;
- Manage the reception area and screen all visitors to the Organization including guiding them to the appropriate office they are visiting
- Manage the Executive Director's appointments
- Answer phone calls and directing callers to appropriate offices
- Ensuring that the Organization's offices are clean and tidy at all times
- Do any other duties as required by the employer and in line with his/her/their duties.
- A suitable candidate should possess an A Level certificate or its equivalent
- The candidate must be self motivated and willing to take instructions from superiors
- The candidate must be a good time manager and have a keen attention to detail
- The Receptionist reports to the Finance Manager and the Executive Directors
- The candidate must have at-least two year's experience in the same job.
FEMA Uganda is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability status. The organization also offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits including an incentive plan and progressive technology with respect for work-life balance.
The office is located in Munyonyo and is convenient to all public transportation in Kampala.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org via email or call +256779890890.