Social, Health and Empowerment Feminist Collective of Transgender Women of Africa is a registered Non Profit and Public Benefit Organisation, based in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. The collective focuses its resources on the development of transgender women, including development opportunities. Our work is grounded in feminist ideas and guided by feminist principles.
The evaluation of our work reveals a glaring need for capacity building for transgender women based in African states outside of South Africa. For this reason, we are calling for applications for our exciting internship program for 2015.
The intern will be based at our office in East London, South Africa. Social, Health and Empowerment will be responsible for travelling and accommodation for the intern. The internship will last three months. The intern will be paid a monthly stipend of R 3000-00.
Candidates must fulfill the following criteria:
- Have a fair command of the English language
- Be able to travel outside of your country of residence (valid passport)
- The intern must demonstrate commitment to working or continuing working to strengthen work at the country level
- Able to travel and start work on 1st June 2015
- Be based in an African country outside South Africa
- Candidates will possess the following qualities
- Being able to work in a very dynamic group
- Be able to work under pressure
- Be able to work flexible hours (sometimes after official work hours and over weekends)
- Be able to relate to different groups of people and work in a multi-racial and multi-cultural environment
- Good reading, writing and analysis
The intern will deliver the following deliverables:
- A plan to demonstrate how the intern will start or continue to strengthen work with other trans women on return to their country.
- The intern will be expected to complete a gender, sexuality and/or feminist text during their time at S.H.E.
- Representation of S.H.E at conferences and other forums as and when needed.
Interested candidates should send a letter of motivation and copy of latest CV to:
Babalwa Kokwe, S.H.E Human Resources Officer
Phiwe Masiko, S.H.E Programs Manager
or fax to 0862603971
Applications must reach us no later than 31 May 2015.